Stow Soccer Club and Lancaster Youth Soccer are keenly invested in the development of their young referees as well as their soccer players.
We are proud to announce that the Ref-in-Training program is now accredited by the Mass Youth Soccer GENESIS REFEREE Program. The GRP is the result of collaboration between Mass Youth Soccer and the Mass Referee State Committee.
These youngsters learn the basics of refereeing and after finishing the training part of the program, they will officiate the in-town Grade 1/2 games.
Referees who excel in refereeing (based on observation and standards set by MSRC) are offered an alternate, streamlined, reduced cost path for a USSF Grade 8 certification.
This training begins in August before the fall season and March in the Spring season.
Note: Limited number of enrollments are open for the RIT program
- Candidate must be 12 years of age and under 14 years of age.
- The fall sessions will be held sometime in August and youngsters will be contacted for dates and times once registered. The spring session will be held in March.
- Candidates attend a 2 hour session (combination of desk and field) reviewing the Laws of the Game.
- Candidates attend a 1 hour field training to review the modified rules for Grade 1/2 and all field signals.
- Candidates attend a Grade 1/2 games to watch and review what happens in a real game with an Advisor present.
- Candidates will officiate a scrimmage held during the Grade 1/2 teams practices before being assigned to games.
Once certified as a Grassroot Referee:
- Refs-in-training will be assigned to Grade 1/2 games once availability has been determined.
- A Referee Advisor (older referee) or an adult advisor will be on the fields if scheduling allows.
- A club Grassroot parent will be on the field during all games.
Spring 2019 course with Mass SRA Peter Kokolski
For information and registration, please contact Maria Mpelkas at